The Manor has connections with JORDAN and STEPHENS.
Fisher cites Bishop Rawlinson's word as his only evidence that Mr JORDAN of Burford, Oxon purchased Kencot Manor in 1708 from the YATEs of Buckland (Fisher, pg 74). There is a memorial to John JORDAN in the church. It is now obscured but someone has thoughtfully put a photogph on the wall. The inscription reads 'John JORDAN Esq Died January 21st 1770'
A deed of 1761, now lost but cited in 1840, recites that John JORDAN leased property in Kencott to William STEPHENS & Anne his wife.
In 1763 William STEPHENS of Kencot, gent and Attorney (c1724-1791), leased a quarter of the manor of Burcott [could be transcription error for Kencott] from John CARNE of Nash and his wife Elizabeth. (Fisher, pg 86). Elizabeth CARNE was nee LODER and sister of Anne LODER, the wife of one John JORDEN (abt 1708-1770) of Burford, Oxon.
At enclosure in 1767 William STEPHENS was Lord of the Manor (Fisher, pg 87).
In the church at Kencott is a marble plaque with the following inscription
To the Memory of
WILLIAM STEPHENS, Esquire
who died the 10th day
of November 1791
And ANN his Wife,
who died 21st day
of September 1808
(Transcribed by R I Kirby, c2006)
1808 The Bury and Norwich Post carried an announcement that the Rev.
Henry Mears, of Hannington,Wilts, had married Miss Stephens, of Kencot (The Bury and Norwich Post: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, and Cambridge Advertiser (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), Wednesday, January 13, 1808; Issue 1333. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II. Page no is unclear onthe image, Pg 412 (no. 4 of 4 in this issue), Col 5)
In 1717 the living at Kencott was owned by a Mr LODER of Lechlade and on 12 Nov 1722 the Rev Seymour LODER married his cousin Mistress Mary LODER of Hinton Waldrish, Berks., in Kencot Church. The next day he was inducted ( Fisher, pgs 75-76)
A selection of links to other sites with information about this place
None as yet