New Mills, Rotherfield Peppard, Henley on
Location and general description
New Mills papermill was situated at Rotherfield Peppard, Henley on
Thames, Oxon. On the Thames opposite Remenham (VCH, 2007). The paper
mill was on a small island in the Thames, with a flour mill on the
adjacent river bank.
The papermill of around 1861 was the larger of two
buildings straddling a single millrace, the other being an adjoining
History (from 1585 to 1925)
In 1585 the mill was owned by Francis STONOR (VCH, 2007).
In late 17th C New Mill was managed by Bartholomew QUELCH (VCH, 2007).
In 1679 Bartholomew QUELCH died and amongst his goods were
listed 20 meal sacks. The business passed to his son Thomas QUELCH (d.
1716) (VCH, 2007).
In 1705 the STONOR family held five water powered corn mills in this
area (VCH, 2007).
After expansion the mill became known as New Mills (VCH, 2007).
None of Thomas QUELCH's sons followed their father's career and the
lease passed to Thomas HARRIS (d. 1751) (VCH, 2007).
In 1778 there were four water corn mills (VCH, 2007).
by 1785 the Hon. Henry Seymour CONWAY of Park Place owned the
mills and they were occupied by John WESTBROOK and Co. (VCH, 2007)
In 1786 an arson attack destroyed the four corn
mills, which were rebuilt shortly afterwards as a flour mill and a
paper mill. These new mills were described as timber-built and tiled. (VCH, 2007)
In 1794 which were at that time occupied by James SMITH of
Reading (VCH, 2007)
On 7 Feb 1795 William LOVATT of New Mills, Rotherfield, Oxon., papermaker, was
declared backrupt (div: 14 Feb 1797)
In 1798 John ELSEE, a paper manufacturer and miller aquired both mills (VCH, 2007)
In about 1820 Charles ELSEE (d. 1855) took over (VCH, 2007)
In 1841 Charles ELSEE sold the mills to William Thomas KNOLLYS (VCH, 2007)
In 1840 New Mills employed 30–40 people, manufacturing both
paper and flour (VCH, 2007)
The 1854 Post Office Directory (pg 715) gives ALLEN J. & Son at New Mill, Rotherfield Peppard, Henley-on-Thames.
In 1861 James ALLEN was paper manufacturer and employed 11 men and 4
boys, serveral of his staff lived in tied cottages
nearby. The mill's output included paper
bags. (VCH, 2007)
In 1903 C.H. SMITH and Sons were still making paper there (VCH, 2007)
In 1915 the buildings were in a ruinous state (VCH, 2007)
Both mills were been
demolished before 1925 (VCH, 2007)
The ELSEE familyThe 1851 Census lists the ELSEE family at Northfield End, Henly-on-Thames, Oxon., when they comprised
- Charles ELSEE, Head, Mar, aged 60, Out of business late Paper Maker, born [Qu?]eenhithes, Middx.
- Eleanor ELSEE, Head, Wife, aged 50, Out of business late Paper Maker Wife, born Seacastle, Northumberland.
- Sarah ELSEE, Dau'r, U, aged 18, Governess, born Peppeard, Oxon.
- John ELSEE, Dau'r, U, aged 15, Scholar, born Peppeard, Oxon.
- Decima ELSEE, Dau'r, U, aged 11, Scholar, born Peppeard, Oxon.
- MAXTED, Ian, The British book trades 1731-1806 : a checklist of
bankrupts, evon Libraries Local Studies Service, 2001, electronic
version 2008, URL: www.devon.gov.uk/localstudies/100159/1.html,
Accessed 19 Aug 2008
- VCH Oxfordshire Texts in Progress: Rotherfield Peppard,
December 2007, University of London,
Accessed 8 Aug 2008
Any transcripts and images on this page are Copyright R I Kirby 2008
unless stated otherwise.