Location and general
Located to the west of the Lea Valley and just south of Enfield, Middx.
Buildings and locations
Lying in Palmers Green, between Edmonton and
Friern Barnet, Broomfield is outside of Enfield proper. It has a
connection with the JACKSON descendants of Sir John TASH of London,
northern part was owned by William TASH and the southern was owned for
a short time by Mrs Mary BOWLES (nee GALLIARD) .
The TASH family
Sarah TASH (1711-), daughter of Sir John TASH of London,
Vintner (c1677-1738), married Thomas JACKSON of Broomfield House
(-c1766). William TASH, son of Thomas TASH of Vale Mansell (a
the Sir John TASH mentioned above) and Mary JACKSON (-1812, daughter of
the Thomas JACKSON mentioned above) was 'of Broomfield House' in 1773
and at Southgate Lodge at the time of his death in 1816. In 1804 he
owned 582 acres of land in the area, mostly around Broomfield, making
him one of the largest landowners in that area.
The GALLIARD family
Mary BOWLES (nee GALLIARD) was daughter of Pierce GALLIARD of
Bury Hall, Edmonton (1711-c1789). Pierce owned land around Burford, Oxon
and his first wife appears to have been Mary ASTON whom he married in
1734/5 in Cheshunt, Herts (suggesting a link with the related ASTON and
TASH families of Burford,
The WOLSTENHOLME family
Sir Thomas WOLSTENHOLME, 3rd Bart (-1716) was 'of Edmonton' and is
buried in nearby Enfield,
His first wife was Mary RAYNTON (c1660-1691), daughter of Nicholas
RAYNTON of Forty Hall, Enfield, esq. (1634-1696). Sir Thomas' sister
Catherine WOLSTENHOLME married Sir Henry BATHURST, son of Alderman
BATHURST of Edmonton.
A selection of links to other
sites with information about this place
- Enfiled Borough's Oakwood Park Leaflet