Dun's Tew lies on the summit ridge of an E-W oriented elogated hill, at th ewestern end of with lies Great Tew, Oxon. The village retains a number of attractive original buildings but has considerable modern infil.
The churchyard contains several HATTON gravestones adjacent to two that relate to the CASTLE family. On the wall in the church in 2007 was a helful chart of grave plots and who was buried in them. On a visit in 2007 sereral monumental Inscriptions from Duns Tew were recorded.
The Duns Tew parish BMD register for 1696-1747 has apparantly been missing since 1820 and so this makes tracing Duns Tew families difficult during that period.
Both James CASTLE (abt 1818-1884), which notes that he was parish clerk for over 50 years, and his son's wife Mrs Mary Jane CASTLE (nee DAVIS, abt 1855-1892) have headstones near the church path.
The earliest evidence of the HATTON surname is with John HATON who married Jean DEAN in 1673. However, the picture of the HATTON family is clearer from the middle of the 18thC when parish records are again available. By the 1851 Census many of the family were bakers or small scale farmers and one was a blacksmith. The prevelence of the name Edward in this family has suggested a link may exist with the papermaking HATTON's of Widford, Oxon, and therefore possibly with those of nearby Deddington, Oxon. However, no link has yet been found.
A selection of links to other sites with information about this place
None at present