The tiny village of Coln St Dennis lies at the confluence of two deeply incised Cotswold valleys and is, as its name suggests, on the river Coln. It is just upstream from Coln Rogers, Gloucs, and Calcot, Gloucs, neither of which are now more than small hamlets. Still further downstream lies Bibury, Gloucs., then Coln St Aldwyn, Gloucs, Hatherop, Gloucs, and Quenington, Gloucs. A couple of hundred meteres to the west of the village lies the route of the Fosse Way (a Roman road).
In 1803 Rudge [Rudge, 1803, 106] stated ' It came afterwards to the family of the Masters, of Cirencester, who sold it to the Darells, of Oxfordshire, and Edward Darell, Esq. is the present lord of the manor. Considerable estates, independent of the manor, are held by the families of D'Oyley and Howse. Caldecote, or Calcott, is the only hamlet. Nine freeholders voted in 1776. Population, 80 [in about 1700]—112 [in about 1770]—163 [in 1801]. Houses inhabited, 30.'
|Wall plaque to KEMP:|
"Near this Place
is Deposited in hope of
a Blessed Ressurrection the
Remains of S'r BENJAMIN KEMP Bar't
who departed this life January ye 25. 1777
Aged Sixty Nine years _ in Youth an Excellent
Scholar & through Life an Honest Man, He
was the only Son left of a Numerous Progeny,
of S'r ROBERT KEMP Bar't of Gissing in Norfolk,
by his second Lady a Miss BRAND, But the
Family Seat is now at Ubbeston in Suffolk: the
above S'r ROBERT had Four Wives & Fifteen Children
the Title descends to a Cousin _ & the Estate to a
Neice of the late Baronet. Miss KEMP, Daughter
of the Rev'd Mr THOMAS KEMP _ This Marble
was Erected as an Affectionate & Grateful
Tribute to his Memory by his Executrix &
only Surviving Sister, Mrs SHORTE of
Sevenoaks in Kent, Youngest Daughter
of the said S'r ROBERT, & now the only
Surviving Child, and Relict of
DARELL SHORTE Esq'r of
Wadhurst in Sussex."
|Wall plaque to HOWSE:|
"Near this place
were interred ye bodies of
JOHN HOWSE & MARY his Wife
He died May 13. `1760.
She died Dec. 13. 1743.
WILLIAM & RICHARD their Sons
WILLIAM died Oct'r. 13. 1748.
RICHARD died Jul. 22. 1744.
SAMUEL READ their Grandson
who dies Sept'r. 15. 1747.
JOHN HOWSE & MARY his Wife
He died April 17. 1796.
She died Nov'r 2d. 1779.
Also HANNA their Daughter
who died Sept'r. ye 2d. 1809.
|Wall plaque to BRIDGES:|
"Neer this place was Interred
John Bridges Sen November the first 1679
Elizabeth his Wife April ye tenth 78
John Bridger his Grandsone October ye fourteenth 88
John ye Son of ye above De. John Bridges Sen ye
19th of April 94 & William his Son ye 1 of Oct 1701"
|Headstone for RADWAY (incorperated at the base of the gatepost)|
"Here lye the bones
of John Radway who
departed this life the
[broken, part of a 5 showing, from the layout it was probably 15] day of February
Anno Domini : : :
The TURK family of nearby Coln Rogers, Gloucs., owned property at Calcot, just over the river from Coln St Dennis and lacking a church of its own.
The RADWAY name is more frequently found in the churchyard at Chedworth, Gloucs.
The HOWSE family were at one point substantial land owners in Coln St Dennis. They are likely to be related to the HOWSE family of Swinbrook, Oxon., as they were related to the TURK family of Coln Rogers by marriage into the KILLMASTER family.
A selection of links to other sites with information about this place