Genealogy Notes for Coln Rogers, Gloucestershire

A miscellany of pictures and data arising out of research into the KIRBY's family trees (but not all linked to them). This is a work in progress so please treat the data with appropriate caution. For related information see List, Place Index and Wills Index

View across fields to farmyard buildings and the church

Location and general description

The tiny village of Coln Rogers lies in a sharp kink in a deeply incised Cotswold valley and is, as its name suggests, on the river Coln. It lies just downstream from Coln St Dennis, Gloucs, and Calcot, Gloucs, neither of which are now more than small hamlets. Still further downstream lies Bibury, Gloucs., then Coln St Aldwyn, Gloucs, Hatherop, Gloucs, and Quenington, Gloucs.

View over a dry stone wall, across a meadow, to the church

In 1803 Rudge [Rudge, 1803, 271] stated:
"The name of Rogers was given on account of Roger, constable of Gloucester, who having been mortally wounded at the battle of Wallison, gave this manor in 1105 to the monks at Gloucester to pray for his soul. The grant was confirmed by King Henry, and the abbey of Gloucester was possessed of it till the dissolution, when it was granted to the dean and chapter, who ire the present lords of the manor. Michael Hicks Beach, Esq. is lessee of the greatest part of the parish, to whom it passed by purchase from- the representatives of the late John Chandler Ready, Esq. of Cirencester. Pindrop, Pendrop, Penthorp, or Pinbury, is a considerable farm, late the property of Thomas Cotton, Esq. now of Mrs. Cotton, of London, who has a good house upon it. This is copyhold, under the chapter of Gloucester. Two freeholders voted in 1776.Population, 70[in about 1700]—125[in about 1770]—110[in 1801]. Houses inhab. 25."


The church of  St Andrews

Cotswold stone church with a tower
Dark wall plaque with a fairly simple white marble surroundWall plaque for HUNT:
Memory of
(Late of Burford in the
County of Oxon)
who died Novem'r 28th 1807;
Aged 78 Years.
His Wife
who died Jan'y, 2nd 1814
Aged 78 Years"
Fairly simple white marble plaqueWall plaque for MILLINGTON:
"Near this Place are interred the Remains of RICHARD
(Son of JOHN & JANE MILLINGTON of this Parish)
who died the 26th of Oct'r 1765 Aged 21 Years
Also JEREMIAH MILLINGTON Brother to the above Richard
who died the 21th of Oct'r 1796 Aged 48 Years
died June the 11th. 1798. Aged 39 Years."
Fairly plain white marble wall plaqueWall plaque to MILLINGTON:
"In a vault near this place
are interred the remains of
who died on the 5. day of April 1817
Aged 77 Years
This monument was erected by his children
to perpetuate the memory
of one of the best of fathers"
Fairly plain white marble wall plaqueWall plaque to COOK:
"Sared to the Memory of
of Cheltenham in this County
of this place
She departed this Life the 7th of January 1786.
aged 52 Years
Her tender Heart with love sincere
Melted for every Sufferer
And felt for the Distressed
Whene'er she heard the Griev'd complain
Soft pity for the Sons of Pain
Resided in her Breast"


Both the TURK and HOWSE families owned land around Coln Rogers and nearby Coln St Dennis. There is evidence of the FETTIPLACE family at Coln St Aldwyn. This MILLINGTON family married into a TURK family.

The TURK family

The KILLMASTER family of Swinbrook, Oxon. were connected by marriage with the TURK family of  Coln Rogers. The TURK family of Chedworth, Gloucs. also had links with  Coln Rogers.

Draft TURK descendants tree.

The HOWSE family

This family is of interest because the KILLMASTER family of Swinbrook, Oxon. (see TURK family above) subsequently married into a HOWSE family.

The 1618 Will of  John SMITHIER lists several HOWSE individuals, one of whom was connected with Coln Rogers. They are: 

[Nena Smothers, "Smither/Neal/Custis",  Online:, accessed 27 Jan 2009]

Related links

A selection of links to other sites with information about this place


Any transcripts and images on this page are Copyright R I Kirby 2012 unless stated otherwise.