Parents and family
From his Marriage Certificate his father was John SHARP
From census details and John's marriage date his mother is
assumed to be Mary SHARP (nee CROSS).
Probable birth registration John Edmund Sharp, Bath 1856 (Mar Q), Vol
5c, Pg 742. Bath Registry Office index gives the sub-district
as Batheaston (BEA/8/151|), there are registrations in that
sub-district equivalent to most of the children of this family.
Childhood and education
By the age of 5 he was already at work (see 1861 Census below).
On the 1861 Census John is listed at 1
(see note for his father on location). At which time
the familly comprised -
- John SHARP, Head, Mar[ried], 37, Agricultural Labourer,
- Mary SHARP, Wife, Mar, 34, [Agricultural Labourer implied]
Wife, Somerset, Weston
- John SHARP, Son, , 5, Farmer's Boy,
- Martha SHARP, Daur, , 2, Scholar,
- Eliza SHARP, Daur, , 3mth, , Somerset,
In 1871 John and the 15 year old John Edmund Sharp were recorded as
living in Langridge,
They are listed immediately after 'School with Schoolhouse'
(which seemed to comprise a school and a seperate schoolhouse), so were
probably still at Crew Cottages. At that time the family comprised:
- John SHARP, Head, Mar[ried], 45, Ag Lab, Somerset, Langridge
- Mary SHARP, Wife, Mar, 44, Dressmaker, Somerset, Lansdown
- John SHARP, Son, , 15, Farmer's Boy, Somerset,
- Martha SHARP, Daur, , 12, Scholar, Somerset, Weston
- Matilda SHARP, Daur, , 7, Do ", Somerset, Weston
- Richard SHARP, Son, , 5, Do, Somerset,
- Henry SHARP, Son, , 3, Do, Somerset, Langridge
- Charles SHARP, Son, , 1mo, , Somerset,
Marriage to Hannah Gregory
On 4 July 1875, at the Parish Church (St Mary Magdelene) in Langridge, Somerset
, John married Hannah GREGORY (GRO ref 1875 Sep Q, Bath,
Vol 5c, Pg 971).
Groom: John SHARP, full yr,
bachelor, labourer, residing in Langridge, son of John SHARP, labourer.
Bride: Hannah GREGORY, full yr,
spinster, residing in Langridge, daughter of George GREGORY, labourer.
Signed: John SHARP, Hannah GREGORY X her mark
In the presence of John GREGORY & William TOGHILL X his mark
The Bath registry office's online index confirms these names and date
and adds the detail that the marriage was at St Mary Magdelene Church,
Langridge and the full date. The reference for this is C48/1/019.
1876 I believe that his wife Hannah died. There is a death registered
for Hannah SHARP, age 20 (i.e born abt 1856), GRO ref June Q 1876,
Bath, Vol 5c pg 471.
I have been unable to find John with any
certainty in the 1881 census. The nearest I can get is a 'J.S.' born
1856, no place of birth and in a lunatic asylum in wiltshire. Both 'John
SHARP,' 'Edmund SHARP' and 'Edward SHARP' have been searched for. At this time his daughter
Ellen Sharp GREGORY was with his parents.
Marriage to Ellen Pottle
1888 John re-married. His new spouse was one Ellen POTTLE, a lass
from Wiltshire who had worked as a cook for the same household in which
John’s sister Martha was a housemaid.
The probable marriage registration is that for Edmund John SHARP [sic names reversed] and Ellen
POTTLE, Jun Q 1888 Bath Vol 5c, pg 1111. The Somerset Record's office's
online index confirms the names and adds the further detail that the
marriage was at Langridge, St Mary Magdalene. Their reference is C48/1/025.
On the 1891 Census he is listed at Holly Cottage, Weston,
- John E SHARP, Head, M[arried], 35, Coachman, Employed,
- Ellen SHARP, Wife, M, 34, , Charlton, Wilts
- Earnest J SHARP, Son, ,1 , ,Weston, Somerset
- Herbert JAPSON [or JAKSON], Lodger, S[ingle], 24, Groom,
Last Will and Testament
By the time of the 1901 Census Ellen SHARP was a
widow. John's date of death has not been identified with
certainty but the probable death registration is that of John Edmund
SHARP, age 38 (i.e. born about 1856), registered in Hampstead,
London/Middlesex 1894, Dec Q, Vol 1a, Pg 393.
This is the only clear candidate prior to 1902. However, a review
of SHARP/SHARPE births in 1855-1857 inclusive revealed that there
a John Edmund SHARP from Wellingboro in Northamptonshire of the same
age. It is therefore necessary to ensure that this was not his death.
The 1901 census has a John Ed SHARP who was born in Northamptonshire
abt 1857 which looks as if the Northamptonshire John was still
alive. However, as the middle name is not given in full, it is
neccessary to check that this could not be another individual. The only
other John Ed SHARP's births registerd in 1855-57 inclusive were
- John Edward SHARP, Jun Q 1888, Wakefield, 9c, 21
- John Edwin SHARP Jun Q 1888, Leeds, 9b, 350
- John Edward Thomas SHARP Dec Q 1888, Westminster, 1a, 238
of these registrations suggest a Northamptonshire birth.
Therefore, the 1901 Census entry is likely to refer to a very much
alive Northamptonshire John Edmund SHARP.
On the 1901 Census his
widow Ellen SHARP (nee POTTLE) is listed at 1 Mount B Cottages, Walcot,
Lansdown, Bath, Somerset. She is listed next door to a BRYANT family
(the SHARP family had earlier married into a BRYANT family, though it
is unclear whether this one was related)
- /Frank BRYANT, Head, M[arried], 45, Farm Labourer, Bath
- Clara BRYANT, Wife, M, 45, , Bath
- Clara A. BRYANT, Daur, S[ingle], 23, , Bath
- Rose BRYANT, Daur, S, 14, , Bath
- Minnie BRYANT, Daur, S, 12, , Bath
- /Ellen SHARP, Head, WID[OW], 41, Cook (Domestic), Wilts, Shaftsbury
- Ernest SHARP, son, 11, Bath
- Willie SHARP, son, 8, Bath
Descendants and notable relations
To be continued...