Parents and family
Another researcher has informed me that his father was John SHARP.
Childhood and education
Unknown prior to marriage. On his marriage he was ‘of Swainswick’, which lies near Bath.
Marriage to Martha Davis
Married on 16 Oct 1823 at St. Mary
Magdalene, Langridge, Somerset. Edmund SHARP of Swainswick,
Somerset, and Martha DAVIS of Langridge, Somerset,. Witnessed by George
DAVIS and Mary ASHLEY.
On 15 May 1824 his occupation was recorded as labourer on the baptism record of his son John SHARP.
On 04 Jun 1826 his occupation was recorded as labourer on the baptism record of his daughter Ann SHARP.
On 26 Apr 1829 his occupation was recorded as labourer on the baptism record of his son Thomas SHARP.
On 19 Jun 1836 his occupation was recorded as pedlar on the baptism record of his daughter Martha SHARP.
On the 1841 Census they are listed at Langridge, in Langridge, Somerset. At which time the family comprised:
- Edmund SHARP, 35, Ag Lab, not born in county
- Martha SHARP, 30, , born in county
- Ann SHARP, 15, , born in county
- Thomas SHARP, 12, , born in county
- Martha SHARP, 5, , born in county
- Ann DAVIS, 70, Ind[ependant], born in county
are several other DAVIS individuals in Langridge at the time and the
family listed before them was that of John BRYAN, farmer, and his wife
Elizabeth. It appears to be a son of this BYRAN family, John BRYAN, with whom Edmund SHARP is lodging
on the 1851 Census.
In 1847 their daughter Ann SHARPE married John BRYANT at St Mary, Langridge (BathBMD, C48/1/005).
On the 1851 Census Martha SHARP is listed next to the family of George and Mariah DAVIS at
Court Farm in Langridge.
- George DAVIS, Head, Married, 39, Farmer 175 Acres, 9 Labourers, Somerset, Langridge
- Maria DAVIS, Wife, Married, 35, , Somerset, St Catherine
- Joseph DAVIS, Son, , 12, Scholar, Somerset, Cold Aston
- William READ, Servant, unmarr'd, 18, House Servant, Gloucestershire, Mintym
- Joseph STRAND, Servant, Unmarried, 16, Farm Labourer, Wiltshire, Corsham
- George MISIN [or MASON], Servant, Unmarried, 14, Farm Labourer, Somerset, Swainswick
- Martha SHARP, Wife, Married, 47, Laundress, Somerset, Langridge
- Thomas BRIANT, Grandson, 2, , Somerset, Weston
The remainder of the BRYANT family are listed on the same page as the family of John CROSS
& his wife Elizabeth.
the 1851 Census Edmund is listed at the Lamb Inn, Swainswick, Somerset
with the family of Lewis BRYAN and his wife Anne (possible nee WHITE).
- Lewis BRYAN, Head, Mar[ried], 32, Inn Keeper, Gloucester, Coldashton
- Anne BRYAN, Wife, 33, , Gloucester, Coldashton
- Sarah BRYAN, Daughter, 5, Somerset, Swainswick
- Thomas BRYAN, Son, 3, Somerset, Swainswick
- Anne BRYAN, Daughter, 2, Somerset, Swainswick
- Mary BRYAN, Daughter, 1, Somerset, Swainswick
- Jane CARTER, Servant, U[nmarried], 16, Domestic Servant, Fairford, Gloucestershire
- Edmund SHARP, Lodger, Mar[ried], 50, Ag Labourer, Wiltshire
In 1856 there was a death registered in the Batheaston sub-district of Bath for a Martha SHARP, aged 54 (BEA/6/189)
Marriage to Hester Woolley
1858 a marriage was registered in Weston Village registration
sub-district of Bath. Edmund SHARP and Hester WOOLLEY, married
at All Saints, Weston, Bath, Somerset (C22/1/477)
On 08 JAN 1860 a daughter Harriet was Christened by Edmund SHARP and Esther, at Weston, Somerset, England
On the 1861 Census he is listed at 14 Wellington Place, Weston, Somerset. At which time the family comprised:
- Edmund SHARP, Head, Mar[ried], 53, Labourer (Farm), Somerset, [town blank]
- Hester SHARP, Wife, Mar, 36, Laundress, Somerset, Kelston
- Ann M SHARP, Daughter, , 9, , Somerset, Weston
- Harriet SHARP, Daughter, , 1, , Somerset, Weston
Last Will and Testament
The likely death registration is in 1866 of Edmund SHARP,
aged 72, in the Batheaston sub-district of Bath, Somerset (BEA/10/073).
Descendants and notable relations
To be confirmed.