Elizabeth Jordan, born 1721 in Burford, Oxfordshire

For related information see www.the-kirbys.org.ukAncestor List, Place Index and Wills Index

Summary

Yet to be summarised.

Parents and family

Elizabeth Jordan of Burford was probably the daughter of one John Jordan (for more discussion on this see Who was Elizabeth Jordan's father?)

Birth

A birth date of about 1722 may be inferred from the age at death given on the HATTON Tomb at Swinbrook

Childhood and education

Unknown.

Employment

Unknown prior to marriage.

Marriage to Thomas Hatton

In 1748 Elizabeth married Thomas HATTON of Widford, a widower. The account of their life together may be found in the biography of Thomas HATTON.

Last Will and Testament

She outlived her husband Thomas Hatton and also left a Will, of which her son John Hatton was the main beneficiary. The will mentions little about her business affairs or property but it does mention a range of family members. The following is a summary:
To her Son John Hatton - various anonymous property in Burford, a share in sheets & table linen, all the residue [the only property in Burford that John is on record as disposing of was in Sheep Street and mentioned in his Will]
To her Daughter Mary Worrell (wife of Stephen Worrell of Hertford, Grocer) - 400 within two years with 4% interest (or should her Daughter Mary Die within two years, to her Granddaughter Mary Worrell at age 21) , a share in sheets & table linen, first pick of the wearing apparel
To her Granddaughter Mary Worrell - 100 at age 21, a share in sheets & table linen, share of residual wearing apparel
To her Nephew Jordan Kempster of Kennington Lane, Lambeth - 10 within 12 months
To her Nephew Thomas Kempster of Burford - 10 within 12 months
To her Niece Mary the wife of William Monk of Burford - 10 within 12 months
To her Grandson Thomas Hatton - 20
To her Granddaughter Elizabeth Hatton - A share in sheets & table linen, share of residual wearing apparel
To her Granddaughter Sarah Hatton - Share of residual wearing apparel
Executor named as her son John Hatton
Signed – 11 Jun 1796, proved – 26 Jul 1799
(based on Public Records Office: prob 11/1327 Pgs 115-117)

A full transcription has been produced for the probate record for this will, see the Probate Records Index.

Death

Burial

On 22 Jun 1799 the parish registers for Swinbrook, Oxfordshire record the burial of HATTON, Elizabeth widow of Burford, formerly Widford

Descendants and notable relations

I have come across some unconfirmed evidence (anonymous entry on www.curiousfox.com) of a Jordan KEMPSTER b1764 who resided in Lambeth. He was apparently the son of  John KEMPSTER b.1725 in Fairford (on the river Coln between Quenington & Lechlade) who married a Mary JORDAN at Burford in 1758. This Jordan KEMPSTER therefore appears to be the Nephew Jordan KEMPSTER of Kennington Lane, Lambeth that is mentioned on Elizabeth's Will. John KEMPSTER is mentioned as being a soliciter.  I have found an article, quoted from the Times of  Tuesday August 19th, 1851, page 12, that mentions one  'J. Kempster Esq., solicitor, 1 Portsmouth Place, Kennington lane, Lambeth' (see G. J. Gollin 1997). This is a bit late to be Elizabeth's Nephew but strengthens the suggestions of a link.

It appears that a William MONK and Mary KEMPSTER married in Burford in 1785 and that Mary's Father John KEMPSTER married Mary JORDAN in 1758. William MONK left a Will in which he mentioned several children including a John Kempster MONK and a Mary Jordan MONK. The following is a summary of William's Will:
William Monk , Wheelwright of Burford, Oxfordshire
Son James Monk to receive 10 for mourning
His wife Mary Monk is to get
All the household goods and furniture
Half the timber and stock of his Wheelwright trade (the other half belonging to James)
All the iron and stock of his Blacksmiths trade
Property in the High Street in Burford, Oxfordshire (in William’s occupation and bought from Burns & Beasley)
Three cottages in Guildenford Lane (occupied respectively by Thomas Taylor, Ryland, and nobody)
A piece of  Garden ground in Guildenford Lane purchased (from Oriel College, Oxford and occupied by William)
Four cottages in Guildenford Lane (bought from Burns & Smith, two empty, the other occupied by William Pastor and the Widow Goodrichard respectively)
After his Wife Mary’s death this property is to be placed in the trust of John Willis of Westhall Hill in the
Parish of Fulbrook in the County of Oxford Nurseryman. To be sold and divided amongst a list of William’s Children, or should they be dead, then their children (John Kempster Monk, Mary Jordon Hewer the Wife of Jasper Hewer, William Monk, Elizabeth Baker the wife
of John Baker, and George Monk)
Witnessed by Margaret Arkill, Robert Durham & Thomas Lee
Sole executrix is his wife Mary Monk
Signed – 14 June 1823
Proved – 17 Aug 1825
A full transcription has been produced for the probate record for this will, see the Probate Records Index.

KEMPSTER  means 'wool comber' and, as Burford a 14th-17th C centre for the wool trade, hint at the reason for the family being there. The Burford KEMPSTER family rose to fame and fortune on the back of the achievements of a 17th-century Christopher KEMPSTER. St John the Baptists Church in Burford contains a memorial to Burford's famous son Christopher. He made his fortune selling the stone from the Taynton quarries to rebuild London after the 1666 great fire. He was also Christopher Wren's master mason on the rebuilding of St Pauls Cathedral in London. His town house in Abingdon is now the Town Hall. His quarries also supplied the stone for Oxford Colleges, Blenheim Palace, and Windsor Castle.

There was extensive quarrying around Upton and the family name most associated with this activity is KEMPSTER . However, the most famous KEMPSTER quarries were at Taynton, on the opposite side of the river Windrush. One is left to conjecture whether there was a bridge by the HATTON's Upton papermill which allowed the KEMPSTER's managers (and workers?) easier access between the two quarries. In the 17th-century the stone was taken south to Lechlade, from whence it was shipped out by barge.  It would be lovely to get hold of a tithe map to see what the land actually looked like in the 18th C.

References

G. J. Gollin, M.a., C.ENG., The Manor of Little Ashtead 1671-1851, Leatherhead & District Local History Society, Occasional Paper No.2, 14th April, 1997, Reproduced online in , DACKOMBE The Dame, the Prison and the Pewterer, September 21, 2005, http://web.ukonline.co.uk/the.nook/dacinfo/ashapp4.htm  (accessed 14 Jan 2006)

Any transcripts and images on this page are Copyright R I Kirby 2008 unless stated otherwise.