Yet to be summarised.
Parents and family
Her father is mentioned on her marriage certificate as Henry Robert
From census details this was about 1826 and in Hornchurch, Essex or
Romford, Essex (both are used).
Childhood and education
No details known.
The 1841 Census she is listed in Kennington, near Hornchurch, Essex.
The unit has yet to be researched, but she is listed as aged 14, name
Sarah GAYWOOD, and born in county [Essex]. Kennington is in the census
district of Hornchurch and is a small hamlet located near to Aveley.
about 1849 her eldest daughter Louisa BULL
was born in
St. James, London. The probable birth registration is Louisa Amelia
Caroline BULL 1849 Mar Q St James Westminster Vol 1 Pg 115. There are
no candidates for an alternative GAYWOOD registration.
Marriage to Frederick Bull
On 31 August 1850 she married. The details of their life together are given in the biography of Frederick
Henry William BULL
Years as a widow
On 21 May 1867 her son Arthur
Henry Frederick BULL
was born at St Pancras, London. In the June Quarter of the
year, which covers April-June inclusive, there appears to be a death registration for her
1871 Census has her family at 8 Park Street, (adjacent to Regents
Park), Marylebone, London. At that time it comprised -
- Amelia BULL, Head, Widow , 43, Annuitant /
Monthly Nurse, Essex, Hornchurch
- Frederick BULL, Son, , 18, Horsekeeper,
Middsx, Camden Town
- Harry BULL, Son, , 14, Errand Boy,
Middsx, St Pancras
- Adolphus BULL, Son, , 9, Scholar,
Middsx, St Pancras
- Minnie BULL, Daur, , 7, Scholar, Middsx
- Frank BULL, Son, , 5, Scholar, Middsx
- Arthur BULL, Son, , 3, , Middsx
Although, she was clearly provided for from an annuity she was
supplementing that income by working. At
woman's confinement generally lasted for a month after the birth of a
the richer families hired a monthly nurse to care for the mother and
her newborn during that period.
On the 1881 Census she is
listed living with her unmarried sons Adolphus, 20, coach
painter machine, Frank, 15, porter, and Arthur, 13, porter, at
Paradise St, Marylebone, London. At that time the family comprised -
- Amelia BULL, Head, W[idowed], 55, Monthly Nurse, Essex,
- Adolphus BULL, Son, U[nmarried], 20, Coach Painter
Mechanic, Middlesex, St Pancras
- Frank H. BULL, Son, , 15, Porter, Middlesex, St
- Arthur BULL, Son, , 13, Porter, Middlesex, St Pancras
- Charles EVERARD, Other, W[idowed], 49, Coach Painter,
Charles EVERARD, a
coachpainter, could have introduced her son Adolphus to the trade.
Amelia's father was in the coach building business so it is possible
that Charles could be a relative or an employee of a family related
On the 1891 Census she may be living at with her unmarried
son Frank, 23, a bricklayer, at 193 St John's St Rd, Clerkenwell,
London. The property contained several families. At that time the family comprised -
- Amelia BULL, Wife, Wid[ow], 65, , Essex
- Frank BULL, Son, S[ingle], 25, Bricklayer, London
Relationship to head is given as Wife but marital status as
Widow, the latter appears correct.
On the 1901 Census she is
listed at 121 Southern St, Kensington, London. She is living with her
son Adolphus, his wife Anne and their six children. Her details are
given as age 68, name Amelia BULL, born Romford, Essex. She is shown as
'Living on own means'.
- Adolphus BULL, Head, M[arried], 42 , Carpenter's Labourer, Worker, London, Marylebone
- Anne BULL, Wife, M, 41, , , London, Marylebone
- Amelia BULL, Mother, 68, Living on own means, Essex, Romford
- Anne BULL, Dau, 10, , London, Kens[ington?]
- Adolphus BULL, Son, 9, , London, Kens
- Lucy BULL, Dau, 6, , London, Kens
- George BULL, Son, 3, , London, Kens
- Matilda BULL, Dau, 3, , London, Kens
- Albert BULL, Son, 6 months, , London, Kens
Last Will and Testament
Probably in 1912 when there is a strong candidate for her death
registration in Hackney. BULL, Amelia, aged 80, Mar Quarter, 1b,
Details not known
Descendants and notable relations
To be continued...