To be completed.
Parents and family
Fron the 1851 Census this was in 1787 in Upton, Bitton,
. The only Upton near Bitton is Upton
. and this conclusion is confirmed by the birthplace of
'Upton Chenny' given on the 1871 Census.
Childhood and education
On the 1841 Census (which rounds most ages over 10 to a multiple of 5
years) he is listed in Lansdown, the details being as follows:
- John CROSS, 50, Mason, Born in county [i.e. Somerset]
- Betty CROSS, 50, , Born in county
- Frederick CROSS, 20, [obscured], Born in county
- Mary CROSS, 15, [obscured], Born in county
The above details rely on transcripts and
have, in minor parts, still to be verified against the original census
On the 1851 Census he is listed at Cross Cottage, Lansdown,
Somerset. This is listed between Blathwayt Arms and Goudies Farm,
after which lay The Grand Stand. At that time the family comprised.
- John CROSS, Head, Mar[ried], 65, Master Mason Employing
no men, Upton, Bitton, Gloucester
- Elizabeth CROSS, Wife, , 64, at Home, Weston,
- Mary CROSS, Daur, U[nmarried], 24, Dress Maker, Weston, Lansdown,
Frederick CROSS was listed at adjacent Blathwayt Dairy
- Robert HARRIS, Head, Mar, 55, Public House Keeper, Hants, Stokes
- Harriet HARRIS, Wife, , 57, , Gloucester, Saltford
- Eleanor LEWIS, Niece, , Uar[?!], 23, , Keynsham, Somerset
- Frederick CROSS, ---, U[nmarried], 32, Ag'l Labourer, Somerset,
On the 1861 Census they are listed at Lansdown Villa, Lansdown,
Somerset, which is listed after the Blathwayt Arms and so was probably
near to it. At which time the family comprised:
- John CROSS, Head, Mar[ried], 76, Mason, Gloucester,
- Elizabeth CROSS, Wife, Mar, 75, , Somerset,
[La.. rest too faded to read, but probably Lansdown, based on 1851]
- Fredrick CROSS, Son, Un[married], 37, Labourer, Somerset, d'o
On 20 Feb 1862 the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette (pg 10, col 4)
reported that a Mr.John CROSS seconding the motion for a vote of thanks
to, F. J. RAWLINGS M.A. the former curate of Weston, for delivering a
talk on "the cup of tea" at Weston Club and Reading Institute.
On 10 Dec 1868 the following report on John CROSS, of Weston, appeared
in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette (Pg3, col 5) under the heading
County Magistrates' Office.
On the 1871 Census he is listed at Lansdown in Weston, Somerset.
'Lansdown' is occupied by only the CROSS family and lies between 'Old
Cricket House 2' and 'Grand Stand Racecourse'
- John CROSS, Head, Wid'r, 86, Mason, Gloucestershire,
Upton Chenny [sic]
- Frederick CROSS, Son, Unm[arried], 51, Mason, Somerset, Lansdown
Last Will and Testament
Bath Registry Office Index has only one John CROSS death in the period
1861-1885. This is for John CROSS, aged 91 (i.e. should be claiming
to be about 86 on the 1871 Census), died in 1876 and death registered
in Batheaston, Bath (Bath Registry, BEA/11/206, or National Register,
Dec Quarter, Bath, Vol 5c, Pg. 450)
Descendants and notable relations
To be continued...